Friday 24 May 2013

Small-town stuff

Another bit of relative lightness, with just a hint of something else...

What I did on my half-a-day (Eastleigh)

Posted a manuscript, Special Delivery;
Fairtrade rooibos, loo-roll and chat,
Bought a new (recycled) poem-pad,
Sat in a coffee-shop writing hard verse,
To the taste of Türk kahvesi and panini,
Next door, the museum,
New exhibition - ‘Then and Now’,
Saw how my local patch has changed,
In the last one hundred years,
For the better? I think worse,
Left my thoughts upon a hook-hung luggage-tag as asked;
Framed a wedding ode I wrote,
A gift for friends they’ll like, I hope,
Learned another magic trick,
Denigrated several kippers,
(You know, those purple people-cheaters)
Wowed my wife with an artistic bargain,
And an offering from a mate –
A fine new artisanal bake –
Then hugged her (she is busy),
Charmed goldfinches in the garden
With market-day-bought nyger seed,
Now I’ll watch them and sip tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment