Wednesday 8 May 2013

Midsummer cometh

A few lines about the passage of time/seasons, the human condition, an' all that...

Nary two moons

Blimey, nay bugger,
Six weeks ‘til midsummer,
How did that happen?
What did I miss?
Just last week it seems,
Mornings frost-laden,
Now there are bees
And fine nymphs on the wing.

Where did the time go,
Midwinter through spring?
I’m sure that it wasn’t
Spent (I mean ‘squandered’)
On absinthe and floozies,
Wine that was drunk
And women who’d sing.

Instead it’s that well-worn
Old tempus-aged fugit –
Think back to the endless-hot summers of youth;
The more time we have,
The longer it stretches,
A human-conditional absolute truth,
But I’m not lamenting,
Romantically venting,
Just checking my diary
To see what I’ve done,
Thus far, about half
Of the way through my scene,
Why, where and when,
And what I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment