Friday 26 April 2013

NaPoWriMo day 26



NaPoWriMo day 26. A difficult one this – an ‘erasure’ poem i.e. taking words and letters away from an existing poem and keeping the remainder as originally paginated. I went for Rudyard Kipling’s ‘If----‘

I

I              can keep  our head 
                the n       blam
I  can trust you     hen         men doubt
But         all            their        doubt
I              can         it              red
Or            lie  about, do l       l 
                don’t give way 
                ok too good,  or    wise:

I              can dream – a      master;
I              can think -             our aim;
I              Triumph
And  eat                 impostors
I              can         hear        you’ve spoken
Twisted                                                  fool 
                watch     your life                 broken, 
                too                          worn-out 

I              make one              of            you 
                                one  urn of pitch 
                lo , an  art              our be     ings 
                ever        at a                         loss;
I              for you  hear         a              new
To           turn                         the          one, 
                so hold   her          not          in 
                the  ill                     the          old

I              talk with crow s and  you   r ue, 
                th ings – or lose                    touch,
If            the          f iends    hurt you, 
                men count  you,   one too much;
I                              the  forgiving        nut 
 it s          worth      a              run,
You        art           everything
And        i               a Man    !

No comments:

Post a Comment