Monday 22 April 2013

NaPoWriMo day 22


NaPoWriMo day 22 - a poem for Earth Day as that’s when this prompt landed. I’ve written several nature poems recently so this one has a rather broader theme.

I love a happy atmosphere

A thin but useful gaseous skin,
Keeps bad stuff out and good stuff in,
But if we full it full of waste,
We’ll soon be gone without a trace,
Boiled away or barbecued,
Starved to husks when there’s no food,
We won’t survive on CO2,
And there’s no making methane-stew,
Like Chief Seattle kind of said,
You can’t eat money, though it’s ‘bread’,
Nor drink if all the rivers dry,
And no more falls free from the sky,
After us though, some will thrive,
Whichever species stay alive,
I’m sure they will not mourn our loss,
Whether ‘roach, microbe or moss,
But I’d prefer to get things fixed,
Before we’re gone, extinct, dead, nixed,
Kick the oilmen in the rump,
It’s our planet, not a rubbish-dump.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this poem and it is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. again... very clever. I appreciate you being in touch with some of our Earthly dilemma. And the twist of humor, I need a twist of humor.

    ReplyDelete